This chapter covers the requirements and best practices related to the storage and disposal of medications in an assisted living facility.
Upon completion of this chapter, caregivers should be able to:
- Understand the issues related to residents’ right to privacy and providing for resident’s safety related to medications.
- Understand the requirements which must be met when residents keep medications in their rooms.
- Understand how to “centrally store” medications in an ALF.
- Understand storage requirements for over-the-counter medications in an ALF.
- Store and rescue “discontinued medications.”
- Dispose of medications properly.
- Arrange for resident’s medications when a resident is away from the facility.
- Reorder medications in a timely manner.